BOOKING YOUR GROUP
Please fill out the form on this page to request a group/school visit. Our scheduler will contact you to confirm, and to send details regarding bus parking, educational resources, and museum etiquette. Please do not finalize your plans until have you received an e-mail confirmation from MOI (this includes scout and home-school groups).
What to Expect
Thanks to our Student Ticket Initiative, school groups receive a sharply discounted admission rate of $3 per student. We also offer discounts for scout groups, homeschool groups, and non-school groups of 15 people or more. (Inquire with the Volunteer and Visitor Services Coordinator for details.) The Student Ticket Initiative is possible thanks to ticket sales from our annual Haunted History Tours and the following generous grantors:
- City of Ammon
- City of Idaho Falls (Community Partnership Grant)
- Gladys E. Langroise Advised Fund within Idaho Community Foundation
- Idaho Falls Air Show
With our Student Transportation Initiative, educators from outside the Idaho Falls area may apply for grants to alleviate the costs of bus transportation for school field trips. Please contact our Volunteer and Visitor Services Coordinator at (208) 522-1400 x 3009 or via e-mail for more information. The Student Transportation Initiative is possible thanks to the following generous grantors:
- Harry W. Morrison Foundation
- Laura Moore Cunningham Foundation
- William and Shirley Maeck Family Foundation
Official chaperones must ensure that students follow our outlined Museum Manners during their visit. We ask that school groups provide chaperones based on the following ratios:
- Grades PreK-5: at least 1 chaperone per 6 students
- In order to qualify as a PreK program and receive school group pricing, your organization must employ educators who are certified in Early Childhood Education in the state of Idaho.
- If your group is an educational daycare that does not employ Idaho certified Early Childhood Educators, we can offer you our educational group discount. Please contact our Volunteer and Visitor Services Coordinator for details at (208)522-1400 ext. 3009 or via email.
- Grades 6+: at least 1 chaperone per 10 students
Chaperones within these ratios will be admitted to the museum free of charge in exchange for directing student behavior. Groups that do not provide enough chaperones will be charged $15 for each MOI staff member that must be added in order to reach the appropriate ratio.
We encourage homeschool groups to purchase family memberships. For only $100 a year, a family can visit the MOI as many times as they'd like, receive discounts on programs and in the store, and build a culture of learning. With constantly changing traveling exhibits, and a permanent collection of thousands of objects, the MOI is the perfect place for making meaningful curriculum connections.
If you are not interested in purchasing a family membership, please contact our Volunteer and Visitor Services Coordinator to receive discounted homeschool pricing.
To receive the scout discount, scout groups must book in advance with our Volunteer and Visitor Services Coordinator at (208) 522-1400 ext. 3009 or via email. The rate for scout groups is $5/person, including scouts and up to two leaders. Groups with 15 or more scouts may add a third leader at the discounted $5 rate.
- We strongly encourage you to download and print our current traveling exhibit's gallery guide found on the resources page.
- MOI exhibit galleries are normally staffed by volunteers. Docents in green lanyards can answer your questions about the exhibits.
- We recommend allocating at least one hour for a school visit or group tour.
- The Museum does not offer public dining services, but is within easy walking distance (0.2 mi) of more than a dozen restaurants.
- Educators may access resources for our Idaho and temporary exhibits here. Contact the Director of Education with additional questions, or for additional resources, at (208) 522-1400 x 3002 or via e-mail.
- If you would like to customize your visit with a special tour or a meeting with MOI staff members, please contact the Director of Education using the above information.
- CLICK HERE for our Museum Manners: Field Trip Behavior Expectations for School and Scout Groups
- CLICK HERE for our Homeschool Field Trip Policies
Want to make the most of your group visit? MOI now offers an enhanced field trip experience including hands-on learning and time to explore. For only $1 more per student, this program offers a rotation-based experience, including two STEM lessons based on state standards, taught by professional educators, and relevant to the current traveling exhibit. We will also create a custom schedule for your visit so each chaperone knows where to go and what to do.
Cost: $4 per student
For Archimedes: Science and Innovations, choose from three enhanced themes:
- PS1-4: Energy
- ETS1.A: Defining Engineering Problems
- ETS1.B: Designing Solutions to Engineering Problems
Principles of Physics
- PS1-3: Motion and Stability: Forces and Interactions
- PS1-1: Waves
- PS1-4: Energy
The Art and Science of Shapes
- Math.1.G: Reason with shapes and their attributes
- Math.4.G: Draw and identify lines and angles, and classify shapes by properties of their lines and angles.
Note: The enhanced field trip is limited to times when staffing is available.
The Museum of Idaho will offer school memberships to any public or private area school to help build a culture of lifelong learners and museum goers as well as to supplement curriculum and to help teachers and students dive deep into project and place based learning.